Featured post

Get To Know Singapore Better

     Hello peeps, I recently visited Singapore with my family. It is such a lovely place, but there are many things about Singapore that ...

Friday 8 April 2016

Tribal Museum

      I have been living in the city for the past 14 years. But, all my childhood was spent in a small town, and maybe that's why I haven't been able to sink the cityness into me. I still love remote places. Places close to nature, with not much population & without the hustle and bustle always draws my attention. So I was looking for some place to have a holiday and I stumbled upon Silvassa, the capital of Dadra & Nagar Haveli. While looking for what is Silvassa famous for I found about the tribes in Silvassa & while doing that I also found out that there is a Tribal Museum here in my city.

      It was obvious that I had to go and visit it. So I went to the tribal museum which is located near the Don Bosco Bridge. The tribal museum mainly focuses on the tribes in Maharashtra. There were different rooms which displayed everything related to the tribes and tribal people. 

     The museum is named after Dr. Govind Gare. Dr. Govind Gare was born in Nimgiri village. He was fond of education and in spite of adverse conditions he was able to gain a degree in Social Science. He even got a doctorate degree and after that started work on Tribal Development. He was the director of the Tribal Research & Training Institute from 1976 to 1989. In these years he bought in many welfare schemes for the development of the tribal people. His services laid a solid foundation for the Research Centre. He had received many accolades for his prominent work for the tribes. 

photos of different tribes
       The first room of the museum has photos of the people of various tribes. Each section had the name and the specialty of that particular tribe. There were Halbi, Kawar, Koli Dhor, Malhar Koli, Ka Thakar, Dubla Dhodia, Varli Katkari, Madia, Mavchi, Pawara Kokna, Bhil & Ghagni Tribes.

musical instruments


      The second room had many interesting things. Musical instruments made from pumpkin, utensils, hunting equipments, decorations and even things related to black magic that the tribes use. The other room had warli paintings, fishing gadgets & bamboo craft likes hats. On the other side was the mask section. It displayed various masks, Narad, Ravana, Mahadev, Ganpati, to name a few. 

warli paiting


     After these rooms of displays there was an open area with huts of the different tribes and sculptures of the tribal people. After this there was again an indoor section. This displayed the jewellery and the clothes of the tribes. There were other day to day things that tribes use, like combs, tobacco containers, etc. The other room displayed the deities and even welfare schemes for the tribes.

tribal hut
tribal jewellery

tribal clothing
     So basically, the tribal museum is one place to see everything tribal. Almost every the tribes and everything related to the tribes is put on display here. So if you want to know about the tribes in Maharashtra this place is a must visit.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is really helpful for me as I was looking for high quality Barneo tribal art. Thanks for sharing it.
    Indonesian stone sculptures then you can surely visit them.

    ReplyDelete