Featured post

Get To Know Singapore Better

     Hello peeps, I recently visited Singapore with my family. It is such a lovely place, but there are many things about Singapore that ...

Friday 13 May 2016

The Lanes That Shout Copper (Tambat Ali)


        When one think about Pune, one thinks Peshwas, education, Shaniwar Wada, Tulshi Baug or even Saras Baug. But Pune, is much more than that. One might even think peths. & in one of the many peths dwells Tambat Ali, the place that shouts copper.

       Enter the main entrance or the praveshdwar of Kasba Peth and take a left. As you go further you'll see a person making something from copper. This is when you know you've reached Tambat Ali. When you look at Tambat Ali from outside its just like any other old building like structure that one can see at any other peth. And if it wasn't for the banging and bashing I wouldn't have realised that the copper magic happens in here. A small lane and an old staircase leads to Tambat Ali, where there is are small wadas, with the residence behind and the workshop in front. 

        Many years ago Shivaji Maharaj bought the 12 balutedars like goldsmith, tailors, potters, copper smiths, etc. together and set up a place for them to work and stay. Tambat Ali is one of them.

ghangal

         Traders supply copper to these copper smiths at Tambat Ali. The copper smiths then work on the copper to make the items that the trader needs. Ghangal, kalshi, topla are a few of them. Most of the items here have matar kam on them. Matar means peas. The copper smith with his tools makes small circles which resemble peas on the items, hence the name. 

matar kam

         Everybody at Tambat Ali can be seen bashing and banging onto the copper. You need to have a very good sense of hearing when here. Because you definitely cannot hear what one is saying in all that loud noise.  Mr. Rajendra who was kind enough to give me a short but informative information about Tambat Ali has been doing this work since the past 30 years. He even told me that I can purchase anything I want, I just need to make an advanced booking. I guess I'll take my mom along to do some tamba (copper) shopping.

Mr. Rajendra working on the ghangal

        Also a small little mention. Despite of living in Pune for the past 14 years, I got to know about this place a couple of months ago through a TV show, where the designer goes to Tambat Ali and asks the copper smith to make a beautiful necklace out of copper. I yet have many other places to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment